Wednesday 22 September 2021

Roy

 So, today is a bit of a landmark day. Today I bought a mobility scooter. This may not seem like a huge thing to most people, but to me it's fucking huge. 

At the age of 12 I was diagnosed with "sero-negative polyarthritis" and the prognosis wasn't full of fun.  I was told I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30. I wouldn't have children and I had to give up all the things I loved. As it happens I've now got a rather extensive shopping list of medical diagnoses, 3 children and I still get to do things I loved like playing the piano and bassoon. I've learnt to crochet, I've learnt a bit to play the bass to jam a bit with my eldest and I'm not in a wheelchair yet.... 

But crutches have been killing my shoulders and neck - I have issues with the top and the base of my spine and I've been fighting onwards just on crutches. I can't do it anymore. I took our middle one for a walk around a university and it took me so long to get over it, and the pain was just horrific. So.... at 43, I've written a segment of a best selling book,  gone back to uni as a part time distance student to do a masters degree, had my nose pierced and bought a mobility scooter who I've called Roy.....

I'm making the choice to use this, rather than be forced into it..... Hoping to save some spoons too so I can do the things that I want to do with my husband and my children and dogs. I want to be able to go out and about, not being stuck on crutches and then having to spend weeks doing literally nothing to try to "recharge" enough to live..... 



No comments:

Post a Comment